A paradigm shift was made with context to post 18th amendment in the Constitution and provincial governments developed a renewed focus on issues pertaining to women. The department of Women Development was established in 2012 to ensure women empowerment and for developing enabling environment for the women. Since its creation, the department, in a collaborated effort with all other departments, framed Punjab Women Empowerment Initiatives in line with that of 2012 for ensuring women empowerment and equality in true letter and spirit and to attain the following outcomes:
- Provisioning of support services like financial assistance, technical training, social uplift, etc.
- Universal access to justice;
- Preventive measures to curb Violence, in any form, against women
- Working with civil society and communities to eliminate discriminatory behaviors & attitudes.
- Availability of ample opportunities to improve socio-politico-economic status of women
- Achievement of Gender equality and equity in real terms.
An inclusive Punjab where women enjoy equal rights with respect, free from all forms of discrimination.
To foster gender equity and women empowerment through legislation, advocacy, capacity building and institutional.
Enlisted below are the prime objectives of our department:
- Increase facilities for providing enabling environment for greater women empowerment.
- Increase awareness of women’s rights and Punjab Government’s cross-sectoral women empowerment initiatives.
- Improving service standards in all government departments/organizations especially for women.
- Working with civil society and communities to eliminate discriminatory behaviours & attitudes.